We all wish for the well-being and long life of our adorable pets. Their playfulness and happy behavior depends so much on how fit they are. Pets can often get infected with various diseases and infections which we, humans, are not always aware of. If not taken proper care of, some of these diseases can often prove to be fatal. We certainly do have some idea about the common diseases that they are prone to but often we don’t go into the details of Animal Health Care. To protect our pets from all odds, it becomes necessary to have in-depth knowledge about these dog diseases.
So here is the list of the 5 most common dog diseases with their symptoms, prevention, and treatment that you can protect your little pet from.
Parvovirus is one of the most dangerous diseases among dogs. It usually affects puppies and can affect their lungs for life. The virus attacks the intestinal tract of the body and also affects white blood cells. It is highly contagious and can even be fatal.
- Severe Vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy/ Laziness
- Diarrhea with blood
- You should make sure that your dog is vaccinated against the Parvovirus. If you get a puppy, get it vaccinated against this virus as soon as you can under veterinary consultation.
- If you get home an older dog, you must ensure that he got his vaccine against this disease as a puppy. If not, he must get one dose of immunization.
- Keep your dog away from the highly congested urban areas. Try to take your canine companions for walks in clean areas.
- Keep your dog away from the Parvovirus infected dogs and avoid all kinds of contact between them.
- Regularly clean the bowls, toys, and chew bones of your dog to maintain hygiene that would prevent any type of virus from attacking him/her.
- Do not take your puppy out on walks until he reaches the age of 4-5 months when he finally builds resistance against diseases at a faster pace. You can read more about the healthcare of your pet baby here.
- There are no ways to kill the virus but you can try to minimize their extent through various intensive measures.
- When you find any of the above symptoms in your dog, immediately take them to their veterinarian.
- Dogs infected with it need intensive care and rigorous treatment that they can only get in veterinary hospitals.
- It is important to keep your dog hydrated and build their immunity to fight against the virus and lower the symptoms.
- The treatment of Parvovirus is not usually successful. But if your dog is vaccinated, you can save their life.
Rabies is a viral disease that can affect all mammals like dogs, cats, and humans. It is considered to be completely fatal. It usually affects the brain and spinal cord. There is only one way to stay prevented by this disease and that is its vaccine. No dog owner would want their canine friends to go through this deadly disease.
- Extreme Aggression
- Biting frequently
- Attacking others frequently
- Eating disorders
- Hiding in dark areas
- Foaming of the mouth
- Vaccination against Rabies is the most common prevention. It is also mandatory by law in many states like New York. Make sure that your dog gets regular vaccinations for rabies.
- Keep your pets away from wild animals and rabid dogs. If they come in any such contact, keep them in quarantine for at least 10 days to check if any of the symptoms develop.
- Keep yourself away from rabid dogs as they can infect humans too.
- There is no cure for rabies after it is contracted but it can be prevented.
- If your dog comes in contact with any rabid animal, immediately book an appointment with your veterinarian.
Everyone is scared of cancer. We all know the effects of this deadly disease. Our canine friends can get Cancer of many types. However, if we have proper knowledge regarding the same, we can give them the necessary treatments and maybe even save their lives. The most important thing to keep in mind is that we must quickly understand its symptoms in our dogs and start the treatment immediately.
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty in urinating or defecating
- Difficulty in breathing
- Weight loss
- Black stool
- Bad breath
- Extreme lethargy
- Breast and ovarian cancers are very common among female dogs. Hence, most veterinarians advise you to get your female dogs spayed before their first heat cycle begins to avoid any such complications.
- Male dogs should also be neutered at a young age. This protects them from some types of cancer and gives them 100 percent protection against testicular cancer.
- Treatment of Cancer depends upon its stage and type.
- Just like humans, chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery are some common treatments of Cancer for dogs. If treated at an early stage, it is sometimes curable.
- Some owners prefer to not give any kind of treatment to their dogs but instead go for case palliative end-of-life care with pain relief. Their decision depends upon the degree of cancer and the health of their dog.
4. Kennel Cough
Kennel cough is a series of viral and bacterial infections that affect the lungs of dogs. It usually affects the windpipe in dogs and causes difficulty in breathing. It is like common cold and cough in humans but if not treated well can be very harmful to your canine companions.
- Cough with thick phlegm
- Dry coughing
- Nasal discharge
- There are vaccinations available against severe kinds of cough such as Bordetella and Parainfluenza.
- Take your dog for routine check-ups and ask your vet if your dog needs vaccinations against these viruses.
- Keep your dog away from an infected dog.
- Give healthy food to your dog that would build his immunity to fight these viruses if he comes in contact with it.
- If your dog has caught this disease then keep him/her isolated from other dogs to prevent them from catching the virus.
- Veterinarians recommend giving steam and humidifier treatments to your pets during difficulty in breathing.
- Some antibacterial medicines are also prescribed by veterinarians.
- Dogs must be given sufficient amounts of fluids to keep them hydrated throughout the disease.
- Give your dog a proper diet as prescribed by the veterinarian and make sure that they don’t eat anything harmful.
Ringworm is a common disease among dogs that is caused due to a fungus that infects the skin, nails, and hair of the dog. It is a skin disease that can be very irritating and painful for your dog and therefore must be treated on time. It is a highly contagious disease that can even infect humans. Immediately take your dog to the veterinarian if you notice any of its symptoms to protect your pet and other family members.
You should note that in mild ringworm infections, your dog might not show any symptoms at all. So you should take your dog for routine check-ups to make sure he is completely healthy.
- Skin ulcers appear on the paws, forelimbs, ears, and head of the dog.
- Circular bald spots that have red centers
- Keep puppies away from other dogs. They are highly prone to Ringworm. Avoid taking them on walks until they reach a certain age.
- Give your dog regular baths and wash their fur with a nice shampoo that your vet recommends.
- If you are leaving your dog in a kennel, make sure that the dogs that live there are clean and healthy.
- Give your dog a healthy diet to keep them fit.
- Your veterinarian will recommend a special shampoo or powder to treat this fungus. Look for a pet accessories shop near me to buy dog products
- There are some oral medicines prescribed by the veterinarian too.
- This disease can occur more than once. It is not permanently curable but can be prevented.
With a little bit of precaution and care, you can give a healthy lifestyle to your pets. While we should always focus on positive things in life, it is very important to be prepared for the worst situations. With all the information about the diseases common in dogs, you can prevent your canine companion from going through any of such pain. You should take care of their recreation too by bringing in cute and amazing toys for your fur babies.
Buy pet products online and enjoy with your furry friends.